Monday, June 8, 2009

In the airport

Wow. We just got 10 people with three checked bags a piece and two carry-ons through DFW airport security with no serious hangups. We did have to toss some acrylic paints that Gayla brought for crafts at the children's camp we are going be holding at Sam's Place. Apparently acrylic paints are considered hazardous cargo by the federal government, so they went in the trash. Fortunately, Gayla outsmarted the TSA and packed the paints in two suitcases and they only caught one of them. So we will be arriving in Nairobi with half of our dangerous contraband. Other than that, though, things went very smoothly.

As soon as we got through the security, we met up with some other other members of our mission team, Carl, Nina, Lewis, and Davonna, who just flew into DFW from Tulsa. The Tulsa members of our team are all deaf, so we have gotten an opportunity to use some of our new sign language skills. Unfortunately, the four of them speak ASL, not the Kenyan sign language that I have been learning, so they are continually correcting my signs. This is going to get really confusing really quick. Jerry told us that KSL and ASL are very similar; only 20% of the signs are different. But, so far, that hasn't been my experience. Maybe the few signs I know just happen to fall in that 20%. But Carl, Nina, Lewis, and Davonna, are all very personable and patient with our communication difficulties.

We had a near catastrophe, though. The airline employees at the gate had been calling our four deaf friends names for several hours to try to resolve some mix up with their luggage, but of course they couldn't hear it. And, of course, none of the rest of us are tuned in to listen for any names but our own. I happened to notice their last names in the list of passengers being called, so I let them know they were needed at the gate. Fortunately, we have Jerry with us and he interpreted for them and they got it all resolved, but we could have had a real problem if their luggage hadn't made the flight. Anyway, that is probably a pretty boring story for everyone except me. I only tell it, of course, because I was the big hero who saved the day, and everyone always wants to be the hero of the story, don't they?

We are just about to board to the plane, and Steven Greek hasn't been optimistic about our chances of getting internet access once we get to Kenya, so maybe it will be a while before you here from us again.

Lord, unite our team by the power of Your Spirit. Give us patience with one another and the perseverance to continue trying to communicate even when it is difficult. And bless our families we leave behind with peace as journey so far away. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that things went well at the airport (at least mostly). I talked to Gayla while you guys were eating lunch somewhere, and she was beginning to freak out, with the whole "Oh my goodness, I'm going to Kenya. What was I thinking?!"

    Blessings on you all as you do this good work for deaf children in Africa,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, am so excited that you're excited, and I'm so proud of you -- proud of your interest in serving and just proud of the man you are. I'm praying for you and your work constantly.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete